Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Share your love

If you are at this page then you know that a great man, Ralph Duarte, has recently been given a rather gloomy diagnosis – aggressive, metastatic gastric cancer. Now, we all know he’s a fighter, and he swears he’ll be around for many years more. “Here, here!” to that. But, since we know he is here now, and not when he will leave us, we would like to take this time to share with him in some small way how much he means to us. This page is meant to be a living tribute to him, and our love for him. A way for us all to let him know that we care and that, whenever he does go, he will be remembered. To do so, please click on “Comments” at the bottom of this post, or "Post a Comment" at the bottom of the page, and then type what you would like to say into the box provided (at the upper right of the page). To ensure that you don’t have to sign up for an account, we have allowed anonymous comments. Please sign your name at the bottom of the comment so that he will know who you are.


Additionally, Cynthia Osejo, a valued member of the family, my cousin, your....something else or same... has put together a great little photo album page that we can all contribute photos to, or just peruse for our pleasure. I know we all have stashes of memories in photo form that we would like to share. I encourage you to do so here. This is a great way for us to pool our family memories together and to show Mr. Ralph Duarte how much we love him and have valued our involvement in his life, and this family. Please see the link, "Unforgettable Family Photos" to the photo album at the top right of the blog page.


60 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’ve known since I was young that my grandfather was tops. Seriously, undoubtedly, irrefutably one of the best grandfathers this world had ever seen or will ever see. No doubt about it. He was there for any and all of his grandkids anytime we needed him. He woke us up with donuts, took us to Sea World, Disneyland, Knott’s Berry Farm, dropped us off and picked us up at school, church, games, work, the airport, the mall, the movies, the beach- anywhere, anytime, no matter what else he had to do. It didn’t matter what we needed, he had it, knew someone who had it, would get it, and he never hesitated to give it. He would always find a way to help. No matter what his other obligations were, and he had many, he was there. His arms, his wallet, his house, were always open. In fact, ‘open’ is probably the best way to describe him.

Grandpa was always open for business, there to help, and not just for us. I knew that, but I didn’t get it. I didn’t I understand what it meant to be so ‘open’ and to what extent he has helped others over the course of his life, or what kind of sacrifice and commitment that requires. I didn’t understand at all the degree to which he has touched other people’s lives. I didn’t understand until I finally noticed the great reverence and respect the elders in our family and life show him. Until I finally heard their tales of his good deeds, and heard the pride, the awe, the admiration in their voices.

The greatest discovery of my adult life, thus far, has been to realize the extent to which my grandfather is loved and respected by others; to comprehend in any way the scope to which he’s helped other people.

I am so proud of you, Grandpa! I could not love you more, or be more grateful for all that you are. Te quiero, te quiero, te quiero…
- Grandaughter, Alicia Zaklan

Anonymous said...

Uncle Ralph has been our family's go to guy for all of my years. Not only have all of our Aunts and Uncles referred to him for a variety of reasons but so did their kids as well. Now that might not be too uncommon in most families but when friends of all of ours and strangers as well all have the same relationship as each of us do then there is some mighty magic going on here.

And that is what Uncle Ralph is all about. He has been the most reliable and most willing to give person that I have ever known.

We are all aware of his uncanny ability to converse with the many who walk this life but come on year after year, person after person, I mean Guinness records should have been notified about the many lives that have been greatly influenced by this one man's generosity.

Uncle Ralph will always find something worth while in a person even while others might focus on the negative nature of such a person, he will remind others in his booming voice about the worthiness of that person. I have not always been on the good side of many but even after many years of abstinence from our family, it is Uncle Ralph who will greet me like its only been yesterday and will ask me " How's the beach volleyball games going?"

When I was a runaway at a very young age, it was Uncle Ralph who figured out where I was and came to get me and bring me home, I remember that day like it was yesterday.

His willingness to live in the "Now" is a lesson for each and everyone of us. For all any of us have is now and nothing more.

So spend some time with this man for he has something to say if you are willing to listen and share the wisdom and laughter of a man who really does get it. The question is will you?

Much love to you Uncle Ralph,

Johnny

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Grandpa, you better make sure there is a stopper position open for me on your team when I get there! What a great game that will be, to finally be able to play together on the same team. No more coaching from the sidelines, just playing, running up and down the field, worried about managing a simple ball, deliriously happy, competitive and victorious. You are my hero in so many ways, the Pele, Freddy Ado, David Beckham, Julio Baptista of Grandpa's!!!!! I feel more pride in you being my grandfather, than any country or fan ever felt for any of the players I mentioned above, and as I learn more about you through the eyes of others I only feel more pride. Here is to a never ending game, no age, no cancer, just love.

Anonymous said...

My grandfather, who always had cocoa puffs, and winchells donuts (with the sprinkles) ready when we drove in from wherever we were living. My grandpa who is the reason I first played soccer (the greatest sport ever), who took me to my practices, cheered at my games, coached me always, who gave me a team to favor and cheer for (Real Madrid). My grandpa, who shopped with me and picked out my first formal dress, my grandpa who bought me my first bra, my grandpa who wouldn’t let me have a date in 8th grade, my grandpa who was my knight in shining armor and flew all the way to Nebraska to make sure I found my way back safely. My grandpa with his quick temper, even quicker smile, who smacks his lips and says"ahhh" after drinking water, the grandpa who had a lincoln continental back in the day that could drive itself and had a magic button to make the stop lights turn green on the count of three, my grandpa that bought me my first diamond earrings, and made everyday an adventure and ALWAYS about family. The grandpa who we all were so worried diabetes would claim, was silently attacked by cancer. The conquestador has been conqured, but only his body. His spirit, his strength, his love, his family we all live on Grandpa. We are here because you were bold, strong, kind, a force to be reckoned with. We all made it, because you made it. It is stupid, and naive, but I never really thought you wouldn’t be here one day. I don’t want to think about that day. I want you to know that you will always be here, with us. You have been a father to all of us at one time or another. You have been more than a grandfather, you are the cornerstone on which a family was made, and it is a good family. I want peace for you - I want you to live forever, but only if it is really living for you, not just existing. It is okay to go ahead, I know you’ll make it the best, and lead the way for all of us. Just know, how much you are loved, cherished, and missed forever. No matter where I ever lived, I never felt far from you. I knew that I had an amazing grandpa who adored me, and embodied everything a grandpa should be. I love you, love brandy.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to borrow from Reader's Digest and go with my "most unforgettable person...." and just say that would characterize my Uncle Ralph. His fearless unwavering voice let his presence be known. His charm, personality and smile warms every gathering. I stand in awe of this man, our family patriarch, who could talk to anyone, in seemingly any language if needed, about any suggested topic.

I am most indebted to him for tirelessly lending himself to my family - and grateful to Auntie Betty and the cousins for sharing him.

As far back as I can remember, Uncle Ralph provided his support in any way he could, for me and my siblings, on through the years to my own daughters. It would be impossible to detail each instance, but I would like to briefly mention a few...that he probably saved mom from starvation by bringing her home after being abandoned with my infant brother, he took us on grocery shopping sprees - never looking at the prices of the things we picked, made sure we got to our doctors appointments when mom couldn't get time off work, he helped us through the challenge of burying my brother, as well as handling all the legalities and paperwork of growing up and getting through life.

I know that there are many things throughout my life that could not have been possible without him.

Thank you Uncle Ralph....you are my most unforgettable......I love you.

Anonymous said...

Uncle Ralph and Auntie Betty are my Godparents and have alway's treated me with kindness and respect. Although I was without a father figure as a small child, Uncle Ralph was always there to counsel or discipline me, if need be. Throughout my life, although far from home, I could always count on my godparents support when I came down to visit.

I remember visiting as a child with my cousing Gary. We were in my cousin Ricks converted garage room and were marveling at the vast assortment of Playboy magazines that my cousing had. As a young teen, of course, this was like finding gold. we got caught by Uncle Ralph of course, and I will never forget the raised eyebrow, crooked smile he gave us that told us he knew what we were up to.

Having lived in San jose for 19 years, I missed out on a lot of family gatherings and such, but coming back after a nasty divorce, it was like I never left. The gatherings that I attended always felt like family and having my godparents there will always be a loving and lasting memory.
Uncle Ralph, you will always be the person I look up to.

Love,

Your godson Steve

Unknown said...

Dearest Tito Raffy,
My mom forwarded me the link to your blog and I was so moved by the loving letters. Tito, you have touched so many lives and are loved by so many people.
Though we live in different continents, the times that I got to spend with you were precious. You always made everyone around you laugh. When I picture you, it is with a big, warm smile on your face.
I am praying for your speedy and full recovery.
Besos y abrazos,
Monica Duarte Olbes

Anonymous said...

Hey Pop, as always there is so much I want to say and not enough words to express all the emotions and memories that my heart and mind want to convey. But if I could only use one, it would be "love".
I am blessed to know that you have always deeply loved me even when I exasperated you most; just as I rejoice in knowing that you were always sure of my love, even when I, as all children are, was exasperated with you, my parent. And, as I hve grown, traveled, and expierenced life, I have learned how very lucky I have been in having that kind of loving both as child and as an adult. It is rarer than one would believe. And it is one of the greatest gifts you have ever given me, one that through what you, and Mom, have taught me, as well as by your living, giving, loving example has been passed on to my children, thus to my grandchildren and, with God's, grace, to all the generations yet to come.

I remember you as always being the life of our gatherings along with Lito and Lita when they were here. I remember a crowd of children, relatives and neighbors chasing you as you kept the old style soccer ball away from all of us in our backyard on Van Ness. I remember you being calming and gentle as you cleaned up the blood and reassured me when I sliced my ankle open on the swing; rushing me from fire station to hospital when Fred tried to see what would happen if he kept grinding as my finger pushed the pretend meat (paper) thru mom's meat grinder. I remember you trying to comfort me as you lay on a stretcher when we had the car accident in Stockton. I rememember you making me rearrange my dates so you could meet the boy even if you only had 5 minutes before you had to leave for an insurance or real estate appointment. One of those "exasperations" I mentioned earlier but one I learned to appreciate only when my daughters began to date. I remember almost winning the dance contest at my college 's Seniors' Father-Daughter Dinner. I remember the times you worried, the times you praised.
I remember poker nightes with Lito and Lita, AG and others. I couldn't wait to be old enough to join in though when I was, it was mah jong instead of poker. It was fun and special doing "adult" things with you and your friends, who became my friends, too.

I remember,( sorry, cousins, friends,) being jealous when
I had to share your time and attention. But I also learned to be giving and concerned for others from your example.


Probably more than any of your other children, your home, no matter the address, has been my and my childrens' "home of the heart", the 'Hearth" we always returned to from whereever the Army sent us. You gave us a center, a way to stay connected to all the family. Thanks.

Just thanks, Dad, for all the loving, the lessons, the examples, but especially for being there, for all the times, me and mine truely needed you even if it wasn't all the times we wanted you. But being who you are, we all had to learn to share you with others who needed you, too.
Love you, love ALWAYS Tess

Unknown said...

You had to be a VERY live wire, to stand out among the group of seven lively Duarte siblings in that reunion in 1976. I’m talking major league here: my Dad (Adolfo), he was host and the boss. Tito Raffy (Uuuy!), Tita Marichu (ay yayay!), Tita Manolita (she also seemed like a tough cookie), Tito Martin (OMG!). Even Tita Charito and Tita Pepi, milder in approach, were all magnetism and strength (silent waters run deep).

And guess who stood out in an already strong-personality group? Who else, but Mr. Personality Plus! Tito Raffy charmed everyone, from his siblings, to his nieces/nephews and friends, to the drivers and household helpers, waiters and sales clerks. He had a kind word, more like a conversation, for everyone. His laugh was the loudest, his smile was the brightest, humor the funniest, and energy most contagious.

Years later, during trips to the US, once in LA, Tito Raffy would take over. He was into everything.. and I mean everything, from driving through the coast, to Disneyland, to beach, family reunions, down to the freshly baked Winchell’s donuts for breakfast. His generosity and hospitality seemed to have no limit.

When I got married, I knew my favorite uncle had to be one of my godfathers. And he did not let me down.

We have been fortunate to have shared many moments with Tito Raffy, coinciding with him in Spain, the US and the Philippines. My kids know who he is… they too, know he is specially loved.

When I think of joy and giving, and love of life and family… I think of my uncle, Tito Raffy.

I always will.

Maite Duarte

carmita said...

To my much loved and adored Tito Raffy: inspite of the short intervals that has crossed my life with your presence and Tita Betty's as well it is hard to forget you. You are one person that inbeds itself into the soul of a person with your love of life and laughter that you bring with you when you are around people. Your passion for cooking and the enjoyment that you bring out in all that you do with your love ones. It is also nice to see that after all we are all Duartes and do have a quick and volatile temper but never do hold a grudge.You have brought so much sunshine into my life that it will be hard to forget you and will carry you in my heart till we meet again in our next life. I love you Tito Raffy,
mitzy

Unknown said...

Dearest tito Raffy,
It is with great pleasure and pride that I add my name to this loving tribute to you.

I have so many memories of you, and as I think back on them now, I see they all have a common denominator: LOVE.

Your generosity is legendary and the wonderful thing is that it is given with such joy.

You have so much love to give and we are all the lucky recipients. Whether you were hosting us in L.A., or if it was us having you and dear tita Betty over in Manila, or coinciding in Madrid, you always showed us how happy you were to be with everyone, particularly if it was FAMILY.

You bring such fun and laughter to every gathering. How can I forget watching the raucous Mahjong sessions in Alabang with Mom and Dad and any unsuspecting "tita" that was within the horizon (a quorum HAD to be established, no matter what)? Or in San Lorenzo with tita Engga and tita Tere, their mother, Da. Nena, forever threatening "Raffy, te voy a dar una paliza!" in exasperation because of your endless teasing?

No matter how young we were, you were interested in seeing how your nieces and nephews were doing, always with a twinkle in your eye and a nice word for each one of us. Those big, tight hugs you gave us made us know how much you loved us.

Well, tito, I love you too and am sending you a big kiss and the warmest hug ever through this message. Please take very good care of yourself (and do everything tita Betty tells you to), and bask in all this love we send you back.

Besos y abrazos de,
Mari Criskpijba

Unknown said...

Dearest tito Raffy,
It is with great pleasure and pride that I add my name to this loving tribute to you.

I have so many memories of you, and as I think back on them now, I see they all have a common denominator: LOVE.

Your generosity is legendary and the wonderful thing is that it is given with such joy.

You have so much love to give and we are all the lucky recipients. Whether you were hosting us in L.A., or if it was us having you and dear tita Betty over in Manila, or coinciding in Madrid, you always showed us how happy you were to be with everyone, particularly if it was FAMILY.

You bring such fun and laughter to every gathering. How can I forget watching the raucous Mahjong sessions in Alabang with Mom and Dad and any unsuspecting "tita" that was within the horizon (a quorum HAD to be established, no matter what)? Or in San Lorenzo with tita Engga and tita Tere, their mother, Da. Nena, forever threatening "Raffy, te voy a dar una paliza!" in exasperation because of your endless teasing?

No matter how young we were, you were interested in seeing how your nieces and nephews were doing, always with a twinkle in your eye and a nice word for each one of us. Those big, tight hugs you gave us made us know how much you loved us.

Well, tito, I love you too and am sending you a big kiss and the warmest hug ever through this message. Please take very good care of yourself (and do everything tita Betty tells you to), and bask in all this love we send you back.

Besos y abrazos de,
Mari Cris

Anonymous said...

Dear Tito Raffy,

I have not spent as much time as I would have liked with you for the simple reason that we live continents apart. We met only after I married Mari Cris and we hit it off so well immediately. You were always interested in what I did and I sincerely appreciate it.

I am amazed at the number of friends you have in Manila, although you have not lived here in many years. On your visits here you thoroughly enjoyed every minute, immersing yourself in every activity with such energy, your love for life apparent in every way.

We've gone fishing both in the
Philippines and in Mexico, and each time you were the life of the expedition.

I would very much like to have yet another chance to go on another fishing trip with you, anywhere, anytime.

Cuidate, tito.

Un fuerte abrazo,
Tony Olbes

raffy said...

Hola tito Raffy
Though we rarely spent much time with you, living in two different continents. The short time I spent at your place in 1985 you made me feel at home. I really appreciated very much your letting me have a car (Pinto) to move around Los Angeles. You were always helpful even went with me the first time to Disneyland, Cuchi and Sabrina were with me at that time, as we were looking to live in the USA and leave Australia. I always looked forward in seeing you when you went to Manila as I would also be there during Christmas time. You always were the JOYFUL MAN in all family occasions. Like I said over the phone I am looking forward to see you in Manila this 2009 Christmas day as I will be there. Tito tocayo i will always remember you and your smile love you
Raffy

Anonymous said...

Uncle Ralph and Aunt Betty are the best and have always welcomed everyone into their homes. I remember Uncle Ralph taking several of the cousins on a wild Ice Cream run in his Lincoln Continental. It was a blast and I remember we were all holding on for dear life on the way there and on the way back with ice creams in hand. This didn't influence my driving (haha). Thanks Uncle Ralph you always made our family get togethers very fun and memorable.
You are a very strong man with a huge heart. Thanks for being there for all of us. You are the Godfather!

I had a great visit with you last weekend.

We Love You

Carol, Justin and Jenny

Anonymous said...

Deal Ralph,

All that has been spoken thus far is true and a wonderful tribute to you. We, the Rosario sisters, stand at the front of the line. Mom and Dad believed in and trusted you. You were always there for them; if anything, to add strength to their courage in making the right choices for the family. You have been their son. To us, you are a brother and the "Godfather" of our clan. You held us up through our trials and tribulations. With your help we made it through the years. We shared laughter, then tears when we buried our loved ones. Thank you? - we can't thank you enough! But you know we are a very close knit family and you will always be the head of it. We share, love, care and protect each other. We can't ask for more. Just so you know, we love you and we have never left you as you would never leave us.

Love,

Alice, Delsa, Therese, Dulce and Daline

Anonymous said...

Querida Betty , Querido Ralf: no dejo de acordarme de vosotros desde el día que Pilarín me contó lo serias que se están poniendo las coas para Ralf; al mismo tiempo, se une el recuerdo de lo bien que lo pasamos los cuatro con los hijos por Septiembre del año 2006. Juanjo (¡y todos!) disfrutó con vosotros muchísimo, y me refiero a él en especial porque no os lo puede decir en persona... ¡quien sabe si en un tiempo, nos podremos comunicar en un lugar más apacible!.
Sentimos una especial admiración por vosotros como pareja, por ti Betty con tu enorme dulzura conduciendo al torbellino que eres Ralf. ¡Habéis disfrutado tantos años juntos!- ¡ese tesoro nunca os abandonará!.
Las cosas han cambiado mucho en este año y medio, la ausencia física de Juanjo se hace muy dura, pero su presencia psíquica, su recuerdo tan vivo, acompañado por la cantidad de obra física que nos deja, hace que lo sintamos casi presente.

En estos momentos siento que no soy la persona más indicada para transmitir paz, pero sí para comprender en cómo se os está rasgando el corazón. Hijos y nietos, ahí está toda la fortaleza. dales besos de nuestra parte.
Y... yo sólo puedo y quisiera aportar mi cariño y amor, con toda mi admiración para una pareja de luchadores muy especial, que siempre constituirán nuestro ejemplo.

Manena Rosado Gámir y el recuerdo de Juan José Gómez Molina

Anonymous said...

Se me olvidó aclarar la relación de Juan José Gómez Molina (1943-2007) con Ralph.- Juanjo era ,creo, ¡primo tercero! de Ralph, pero a través de su primo hermano Esteban Gómez-Gil y Pilarín, y de sus conexiones con un pueblo de la mancha "Carcelén", de donde provienen tanto él como Plácido González Duarte, se conocen y se aprecian mucho mutuamente.
He conseguido introducir unas fotos de septiembre del año 2006, cuando coincidimos unas horas en Los Angeles CA.y Ralph y Betty hicieron todo lo posible para que disfrutáramos con ellos.
Un abrazo muy fuerte a toda la familia- Manena-.
Si queréis saber más de Juanjo hay una página en construcción:www.gomez-molina.com.

Anonymous said...

Uncle Ralph,

We wanted to let you know that we are thinking about you and praying for you. While I don't always have a chance to visit, I wanted to tell you how much you have meant to me and what a difference you made in my life.

I remember when Phyllis and I were kids and you would visit and take us to places that we would never have had chance to visit, i.e. the
circus, Laker games, etc...

Those were special special times for us and we appreciated you taking the time for us.

Uncle Ralph, you have always been there for our entire family, and you were the special uncle, the ultimate "GodFather", ...we all loveyou. I hope to see you soon.
with all our love.

Liz, and Robie, Emily, and Adam

Chewdoggie said...

Hold me one last time old man. Let me feel your breath on my face. I look at our pictures, you and I together…and there is no doubt in my mind we have loved each other since the beginning. We will love each other right up to the end…right thru to the other side of what they call this Life. You will remain in my heart forever, in my thoughts as I grow older and when it is my time it will be into your arms that I will return. To feel your breath on my face, your laughter in my ear…your strength holding me there in that place that is simply known as unconditional love. Hold me one last time old man and know that I have loved you completely. -- lisa

Anonymous said...

Queridos Ralph y Betty,

Escribo estas letras en mi nombre pero también en el de mis padres, que tanto os quieren y admiran.

Sólo deciros que es lindo tener personas como vosotros: generosos, alegres, siempre entregados a la felicidad de cuantos os rodean...ADORABLES en definitiva.

Y Ralph, ¿cuántos momentos de mi adolescencia (ahora me saben a poco) en EE.UU. pasé a tu lado con tu paciencia, dedicación y compañía?. Sólo decirte una cosa: GRACIAS. Gracias por ese amor enorme que siempre dedicas a todos nosotros, por esa entrega desinteresada por vernos a todos felices (incluso en aquellos momentos en que las cosas no te van demasiado bien), por esa sonrisa y sentido del humor que nos acompaña allí donde estemos, por esa fuerza de superación personal constante que nos anima a siempre a seguir adelante...GRACIAS TITO RAFI.

Os queremos mucho
Pilarín, Esteban y Ana

Anonymous said...

To Dad from Ricky

I know I may not be happy with everything I have ever done, been, or said in the course of my life but I work on a daily basis to not make the same mistakes, and to learn to be better than I was before, and try even harder
I am with you all times I carry your feelings that you give to me and Marie deep in my heart .

God will be there for you and as you and I have talked , Cody, your favorite 4 legged companion is already their to be your helpful guide on your future journey when it is time to go.
I will never give up on you an take the easy way out of life Knowing all you have done for me as my father and best friend I could ever have. The simple pleasures you have taught me in life,is all that is required to be
happy and enjoy the fruits in life . This is what you have passed on to your youngest son and that I am very proud to say ,it was you who taught me to slow down and be patient cause that fish will bite and you will again be on top of the world for that moment in time. Well I know as your son I have always let your passions in life be my passions when to live life to the edge .and go for it .
as you have always done. Wrong or Right decisions as you know . when to hold em or fold em . (the moment and memories of victory or defeat is what it was about.It wasn't about things we have but the memories no one can take away.
I read something the other day in which I know why you always loved the ocean as we grew up and I guess I got the gift passed down from you :A look at the ocean can make the things in daily life seem not as big. a reminder that when we are at the beach the poor ,rich old and young ,are all the same and equal regardless of the accomplishments or curses in life. We are just a small part on earth for a brief while. You
have taught me that. And that is why I am who I am. and very proud to be your youngest of son's.
Dad may you take your life to the next level and beyond. I will stay strong in heart cause you are my rock,
I will become the rock for anyone that may need me to help as you have.
I have family that love me an can count on me, but I want you to know we are all with you on this .And I am sure Cody will be with you at your side in your journey guiding you on the other side . and for Marie and myself just another hurdle we pass through together to make us even stronger an happy for knowing all the moments and knowledge you passed on to me.When someone said it could not be done . That si all you needed to prove them wrong. And again you were on top of the world and shared the fortune will all.
Especially I know what family is about.You really showed to me in Spain meeting my cousins ,what true family
bonding is. Helping each other, trusting and guiding when one of us falls you have taught us as a family that we can always count on the other to show the brighter side of things that really make us smile an be happy and to understand each others emotions and are willing to show the reality of love and concern for each other . . .... I love you so much Dad .
I will take care of Mom and pass on the tradition of always being there for family,
You always said : things come back to you 100 times when you give from your heart and mean it .
You did this every time you sold a house ,a ice box ,stove, even some of your commission , that you could have gone to Vegas on instead. You are a true solid rock in my life forever.
God has sent you to me I believe and with our faith in him to guide us, is all we need to get through this tragedy . I love you very much .
Your Youngest Son, Ricky..

Anonymous said...

This is probably one of the most difficult letters that I will ever be writing. Uncle Ralph you have always come to my aide. You definitely took your role of ‘Godfather’ very serious. It did not matter what time I called, you were always there for me. I remember when we sold our current home and we put an offer on another house in which the sellers accepted another bid. I remember how upset I was and I called you with panic in my voice and you said “Don’t worry Susie; Uncle Ralph will take care of everything.” Well you worked your magic and you convinced the buyers of our home to rescind their offer. Don and I have raised our three boys in this home and have been very happy in it. I have so many other fond memories of you and I have shared those memories with my boys and will continuing sharing them for years to come with my family and friends. You will never be forgotten…

You recently told me that you have lived a full life with many accomplishments. Who can argue that? Most of us will never achieve what you have in our own life time. You are one of the most caring, compassionate and supporter to everyone you come in contact with. You are the rock of the family and I pray for you every night. (I am not very religious so when I do pray God is usually there to hear me).

I do believe that when I die I will be seeing you again in Heaven and I picture you handing me a pen with your name engraved on it and you are now the #1 Real Estate Broker in Heaven.

I love you Uncle Ralph.Susie

Anonymous said...

After reading all these wonderful tributes, I'm in awe. You and Auntie Betty have given me precious memories that I will always treasure. Our Suarez trips to your home during the summer were superb. You are such a generous, kind, and thoughtful human being. You made our time with you special and such a wonder. I'm lucky to have known you. I'm thinking of you. Love, Ginny Suarez Klein

Anonymous said...

Dearest Tito Raffy,
Every time we have gotten together, whether at your place in LA or up here in San Francisco, it has always been so memorable because of you. Your energy, laughter, love and kindness is contagious to everyone around you.

One of the most memorable get- togethers was Dad's(Adolfo) 80th birthday celebration here at home almost 5 years ago with Mari Cris, Tony and Maite flying in for that grand occasion. You helped us make it a very special day for Dad and the unforgettable " Men's Fishing Expedition" at Half Moon Bay the following day when all 16 of you came back with tons of fish and Dad caught the biggest one of them all, the infamous Halibut. How happy and proud you were of your younger brother bringing home the "catch of the day".

Please know that we are flooding heaven with prayers for you, Tito Raffy. We must all continue to believe that miracles do happen.
Take care of yourself and follow your doctor and Tita Betty's instructions.

Gonzalo and I plan to visit you and Tita Betty again very soon.

Continue to stay strong.

We love you dearly,
Ana y Gonzalo

Anonymous said...

LOVE you Grandpa. Kids and I are thinking of you. Miss you, and see you soon. Love, Brandy, Gavin and Zoe.

Anonymous said...

Dear Ralph:

We are sorry to hear that you are not well. We hope that you are at least comfortable in the knowledge that you have many friends who are thinking of you and praying for you.

We remember the first time we met in the early 1960s when you and Betty came to Hong Kong. The South China Morning Post carried a news item about Ralph Duarte, a high-powered real estate agent from the United States, who was visiting Hong Kong. It was a very impressive article. Imagine our surprise when you and Betty showed up at our apartment a few days later and we learned that you were the Ralph Duarte featured in the newspaper article and that you were actually “family”, by virtue of your marriage to Betty, Gene’s first cousin.

We are so appreciative of all the help and guidance you provided to us, especially in the first few years after we arrived in the United States. You rented us our first home in Los Angeles when everyone else refused, in 1963, to rent to a family with three young children. You located a home that we could afford to buy. You found a loan officer at the Bank of America who was willing to extend a home loan to us, despite our meager resources and lack of credit history. You helped us in so many ways, and always so graciously, that merely saying “thank you” is so inadequate. We will always treasure your friendship.

Over the years, we have had many good times together – the UMA functions, the trips to Las Vegas, and the birthday and anniversary celebrations. They are most memorable for the warmth and genuine joie de vivre that you brought to each occasion, presiding oftentimes as the master of ceremonies.

You are a dear friend and we love you.

Gene and Deanna Xavier

Anonymous said...

Dear tito Raffy,

You have always been special! On our trips to LA you always found time to take us everywhere. Your home was our home and we felt your love always. As soon as we said: I want to buy this or I want to see this, you were there to show us around and treat us like kings.

Then, on your trips to Spain, it was like Santa Claus at Christmas time. Always with your luggage full of goodies even if you had to leave out some of your clothes. As soon as you arrived we knew that a big family reunion was to be held. You wanted to see everybody and everybody wanted to see you. I will not forget the poker sessions at home which begun when mami(Pepita) and papi(Enrique) were still alive. A lot of us started to learn that crazy type of poker which is a must when you come.

Actually, you did not really want to see anything new in Spain. What you wanted was to be with the family and chat and laugh and of course.......eat! I am sure that you will not forget the good fabada, bacalao, natillas, arroz con leche or flan.

Well, what everybody says is true. You were always there when somebody needed you. You were not happy if you were not helping somebody. Your happiness was seeing the other person happy. You have not changed at all!

We miss you and pray for you. Be good and obey tita Betty. She is a wonderful person too....that is why you chose her.

Un abrazo muy muy fuerte de Tere, Iñaki, Beatriz, Jacinto, Alejándro y Daniel desde Madrid.

Anonymous said...

In His arms

May He cradle you in his arms
For He will bring you peace
May you come to no harm
And your days be filled with ease…

We will always remember
The good times in the past
The dances as UMA members
Memories forever may they last…

Let’s share them once again
With laughter and good cheer
But to keep it simple and plain
To us you will always be dear…

Ralph

A poem
By Lydia Castilho
04/03/08

We love you, Ralph.

Lydia and Al Castilho

Grandma Kathy said...

dear tito raffy soy tinchu to kambal we will miss u a lot for you are my favorite uncle as far as death is concern let me tell u the experience of my death i was given the last rights and pronounced dead medically and ill tell u the experience was beautiful so peaceful u cant find the words to explain them in thios world we will see u again in the future so dont be scared just be in the grace of the almighty GODYOU WILL MEET UP WITH ALL THE FRIENDS AND RELATIVES THAT HAVE PASSED AWAY LOVE U TITO RAFFY AND I PRAY FOR YOU WHEN I REMEMBER TO PRAY JUST LIKE FOR MY MOTHER AND FATHER.

Anonymous said...

Hola Tito Raffy: Desde Madrid te mandamos un abrazo muy fuerte.Te echamos mucho de menos. te esperamos con los brazos abiertos en tu próxima visita a Madrid. Aqui tienes un lugar en nuestros corazones. Con mucho cariño. Miguel, Cristy, Carlos, Fernando, Patty, Freddy y Carlota.

Anonymous said...

Unckle Ralphie, you cant go anywhere. I still need you. Kelly

Anonymous said...

If it wasn't for you, most of us would not be here . You managed to get my mother and my aunts and grandparents out of a war torn country with near impossible odds. You are the glue of my family.

I will always remember how you and Sonny introduced my new fiance to our multi cultural, extremely close, very large family. You sat Allen in the middle of you and Sonny and proceeded to feed him all the weirdest Dim Sum you could come up with. He ate it . He knew he was to be part of this family after that. Thank you.

Also Thank You for saving me when I was 15. Remember when my Mom and Paul decided to go to Vegas for the weekend and I decided I would throw a party at my moms house? That night I took her car to get my sisters boy friend home, crashed it and put everyone in the hospital. You came to the hospital, brought me home and I never got in trouble? How did you manage that? Still a mystery to me.
You can do magic, I am convinced.

I LOVE YOU FOREVER Kelly

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said:

Dear Ralph:

It was wonderful to see you again after so many years. I'll never forget how you helped me with my Long Beach condo loan -- for which I will always be appreciative. I'm so glad you met our son, Jared, as an adult. My family sends their prayers on your behalf as well as deep affection.

I'll always remember you.

Love, Carol Rosenberg (Kelly's sister-in-law)

Anonymous said...

sunlight slants through the window,
the smell of your place always the same,
pungent and unique,
comforting and consistent like you,
booming voice, sighing loudly
the phone ringing,
always, the phone ringing
i have come and i have gone,
and you remain ever there for me
the same sunlight slants through the window,
now house still smells the same
i still come and go,
each time i return,
thankful to hear the booming voice the loud sighing,
searching out, breathing in
the same comforting scent that idicates you are there,
always there for me,
the phone always ringing
one day,
the sunlight will still slant through the window,
just not as bright as it was in the past,
no more phone ringing,
the comfort of your scent long faded,
I will no longer return, because you have gone,
only memories
of your voice booming, your loud sighing
I will miss you forever.
love you grandpa
love brandy

Anonymous said...

Grandpa,
I keep hearing all these wonderful stories about you, from all these wonderful people, in other wonderful countries that I have never been to, wouldn't it be wonderful to go visit all these wonderful things together? Or, atleast have a big interantional family reunion next summer - So, realatives reading this, what do you think?

Anonymous said...

Hi Uncle Ralph,

You are truly the Godfather of our family. You have kept this large family all together in one way or another, and at times it wasn't the easiest thing to do. But you would go out of your way without ever thinking twice about it. You made sure we were all taken good care of. You were always there for us. That just goes to show you that you have this GIANT heart of gold!!

I remember growing up in Gardena on 134th Place, just across the street from you and Auntie Betty. In the summer time I would always go to your house for breakfast and you would make me "jelly fingers". It was just a piece of toast with butter and strawberry jam on it, cut into 3 strips. But you made it so special for me. You have that quality about you. You can take anything, no matter how big or small and turn it into the most amazing thing ever!!

Growing up, I admit that I was a bit of a spoiled brat, but you taught me about respect. And I truly thank you for that. You have touched my life beyond words.

I love you with all my heart!!!!

Tina...

Anonymous said...

To my godfather, my uncle and the most caring individual I have ever met. I love you more than you will ever know. I can remember after my Dad died how you were there for us and when we got the phone call at night and you took my mom to the hospital as she couldn't drive there. Do you remember when I was going to fly to San Francisco to stay with my brother Bob and I was so scared that you flew with me and even brought me home. Who would do that for someone? That would be you as you always put your family first. When I got married and pregnant at such a young age you never judged me, instead you and Aunt Betty were there for me. My baby shower was at your house on Aviation. You gave me money when I had none to help with Jeffrey. When I was 17 and my choice of boyfriends were not the best you took me to LA to get him out of jail. I know now that you did it for me because you love me not because it was the best thing to do. I remember going to your house daily to help when Tess broke her neck and you made me a minchie omelette. Boy was that good... I love you and will always be with you.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Uncle Ralph,

You have always been there for the family and at times juggling several of our issues but always finding time to help each one of us. Thank you so much for being our uncle. You are an asset to the family. You are in my thoughts and prayers every day. I love you very much.

Carol

Anonymous said...

Rafael,
Do you remember being the best man at my wedding? Well you really are the best! You were always there for me and the girls. Let me recall a few incidents that were close to my heart that I’ll always remember…

When my marriage went sour and I didn’t know what to do, you helped Phyllis and me move back to Mom and Dad’s and get rid of my house and car. Then when I gave birth to Elizabeth, I’ll always remember my Special 10PM Visitor, who bluffed the nurses at St. Vincent’s hospital passing as Dr. Duarte coming to visit after visitor’s hour. You said you didn’t know what to bring me, so you got me two candy bars and a few notepads. We had a good laughs that night, as you were so pleased at getting away with being a doctor – you were actually giggling! You also were my one and only visitor at my stay at St. Vincent’s and I was so thankful!

When Frank and I decided to get married and we didn’t have room for Mom, as Frank’s house only had two bedrooms, I appreciated it very much when you came forward and told me that you had room in your house for Mom. I want you to know that Mom would call me at work and tell me how you would have the table set everyday when she came down for breakfast. She’d fry eggs for the two of you! I think she felt welcomed and well cared for. Thank you for being there for Mom.

When we bought our New Horizon’s house in 2004, your quick thinking saved me again! You asked how we wanted the name on the title to be, and before Frank could think, you said/wrote Dulce and Frank - Joint! I’m so grateful as now I can sleep at night – now I have a home!

God gave us a gift when he gave us you as a Big Brother to us sisters. You’re in my thoughts and prayers Rafael!

Dulce

Anonymous said...

Tio-

When my dad left, you were there for Mom and me. Months later when Liz was born, you were the only one to come visit her at the hospital. Mom has not forgotten how Dr. Duarte showed up at 10:00 at night with stationary for her because you didn’t know what to bring. As her only visitor what you didn’t understand was that the greatest gift you brought was yourself! The paper was a nice touch too!

Throughout my life, you have always been there for everybody in the family and for all your friends. You helped anyone who needed help. You went out of your way to make holidays special for us kids - the rides in your black car for ice cream were terrifyingly fun; the big bag of coins you tossed in the air on your patio for us to fight over; the games of Blackjack when you were “teaching us how to add“(I still don’t think Lita believed you) - you made our holidays great and we loved you for it!

I remember you worried about me being so skinny. You told me you would buy me any toy I wanted if I would gain five pounds in a week. You weren’t kidding! I ate and ate and ate, and I got my toys. You took me shopping and let me have any toy I wanted – I got a miniature blender and a miniature washer. You bet me several times until I had gained enough weight to make you happy. Unfortunately, you forgot to teach me how to stop gaining weight! So does that mean I get more toys – believe me I’ve met and past the five pound threshold!

You’ve helped with homework and offered condolences when we needed a shoulder to cry on. You taught me my first words in Spanish – te quiero. You didn’t mean to, but you also taught me my first curse words in Spanish – we won’t mention those in case Mom’s reading this! You told me that you would be here for me always – you’d even walk me down the aisle. Sorry, I eloped instead - I couldn’t face picking between you or Frank to walk me down the aisle. Too many choices.

You helped me get my first car – Sonny’s old Pinto. I’m not sure whether to thank you for that one or not! It was recalled three times before I finally got rid of it! But I had wheels!

I’ll never forget you and Lita poring over the paper picking out winners in the day’s races! You treated her and Lito like your own parents and they cared for you as their much loved son! When Mom had a chance to get remarried, you told Mom to go ahead and not worry about taking care of Lita– you would always have a place for her in your house. You were the only one who asked to go to Mom’s wedding, when her own mother refused. We never forgot.

You have always been the patriarch of our family and have guided us through all these years. We owe you so much! So thank you Tio for the joy you brought to every occasion, thank you for the support in times of sorrow, thank you for your words when I needed them, thank you for your silence when I only needed a hug, thank you for your guidance whether taken or not, thank you for the morale boosters you sent my way, and thank you always for your support and unconditional love!
We have always depended on you being there for us and finding great deals on real estate! So when the time comes, find us a house big enough for all our love to fill. Lita and Lito and all those that you’ve loved will be there to help you. So when the rest of us come, we’ll know you’ll all be there waiting for us with open arms! Te amo padre de mi corazón!
Phyllis

Anonymous said...

Dear Uncle Ralph,

Just wanted to let you know that me and my 1st grade class at Our Lady of Guadalupe are praying for you. We ask God to watch over you and keep you safe. I hope you feel better.

I Love You!!

Love,
Taylor Kong

Anonymous said...

Dear Uncle Ralph,

I'm praying for you too!!!
I Love You!!!

Love,
Jordan Kong

Anonymous said...

Dear Ralph,

What do I think of when I think of you? I think of the man who made me the happiest 8 year old boy in Long Beach when you gave my mother Nancy 100 dollars to pay for a new professional skateboad for me. I never turned pro, but I will never forget your generosity. What else do I think of when I think of Ralph? I remember that when I was a little boy you used to visit my grandmas house on occasion and I was a spoiled little boy who wanted all the attention all the time> maybe that was the reason why I always wanted to play the game "who's gonna steal my food". Now this may sound obscure to all who view this but it was a simple game that my grandma would play with me when I would eat my lunch sometimes>the way it worked was she would get a spoonful of food and close her eyes while asking "who's gonna steal my food?" I would eat the food and then she would ask me "who ate the food?" Everytime I would blame it on Uncle Ralphie! We would laugh and laugh. You are such a great man Ralph that even when you are not around you still find a way to bring people closer together with memories that will last forever...thank you for all the good memories. See you on the flip side. With Love Jeffrey

Anonymous said...

Ralph,
You are one of a kind. I told you you have a plaque in heaven. You have always been kind and generouse. One occasion was duruing the war and we have to cross the street, the rodrequez boy crossed the street and got shot in the stomach. even though Betty was so scared and cried you had to cross the street to save him. another occasion when the Americans landed we were all running down the street to safty when you have to leave us to save a woman on the side of the road with no legs. You told Betty you will find us after you help the lady. You found us after Two days. These are only Two occasions of many selfless acts. You are our brother in law our brother our father and our mother to us. Thankyou God bless you
Alice ps when you get there say hi to lita, lito,Les and Paul. Start a Majong Game or play poker with Les.

Anonymous said...

Hey Great Uncle.

I love you so much. You always have such an amazing sense of humor, spirit, and heart. You are the one who always makes a joke about anything, and lightens up the whole room. I am so happy and proud to call you my uncle.

I LOVE YOU!!!!

your great niece, Jessica

Anonymous said...

What can I say that we all know already about Ralph? Just that he is a super guy and I am so grateful that I know him. Ralph and Betty, you have enriched my life and I will never forget the times we spent together. You will always be in a special place in my heart and I thank you for your friendship.

Love you!

Gaby Sarrazolla

Anonymous said...

Grandpa,
So yesterday, as we were driving to school Gavin asked me if Luke Skywalker was a real person. I told him no, but that there were real heroes out there like Luke Skywalker. I am unbelievably, proud to tell him he was even related to a real life hero - you! I told him about what I had read on this blog, about the Rodriguez boy, and the women with out legs. I never knew those things about you Grandpa. You probably don't even think of yourself as a hero. Knowing you, it was just the right thing to do, so you did it. I can't imagine how scared you, or grandma might have been at being seperated and the possibilities that arose from that, but you are ralph, and you found them and it all turned out okay. I think that a lot of people would know what the right thing to do in those situations would be, and that they might say that they would have done the same - but, when it comes down to it very few would. I am amazed at your courage, your heart, and how you constantly put yourself out there to help everyone. Unlike most people Grandpa, the more I learn about you, the more I love you and am in awe of you. I feel unbelievably blessed that I am part of your family, that I share your DNA, and I hope that I can be as brave as you, and do good my whole life as you have. I love you gumpa. See you this weekend. Love Brandy

Anonymous said...

My dear tito Raffy and tita Betty,

Tito, over these years you have always been the main link between the American side and the Spanish side of the Duarte family. You are a wonderful uncle with your home and your heart always open to us whenever one of us has stopped by there.

The first time I was at your home (way back in 1979) I had a great time. I met all of my cousins and saw much of LA thanks to you. You have made many trips over to Spain and we have always enjoyed it. Now your descendants are also coming and our families will be always together. In my opinion you have all the credit of having maintained our families together even if we are many miles away.

Please take care, we all miss you and love you,
Besos,
Quito, Isabel, Cristina, Juan, Isabel

Anonymous said...

Ralph was a man that always had a twinkle in his eye, a friendly hand shake, and always ready to share his knowledge. I am sorry to hear of his misfortunate illness and hope that he passes peacefully in God's grace. I will say a prayer for him.
Joe Barretto

Anonymous said...

The first time I met Ralph was at the house on 134th Place, when I came to pick up Tess for the first time. I was immediately struck with the impression that he was the re-incarnation of a long dead Conquistador; Cortez, DeSoto...
I looked around to try to locate his helmet and sword. Especially the sword!!!

Ralph has been the father-in-law that all son-in-laws dream about and was always available to help out family and friends. He has been extremely supportive and loving. When I went to schools or overseas Tess and the kids were always welcome to stay with them. It took a load off of my mind and allowed me to do what I needed to. He took time out of his busy schedule to insure that the kids got to play sports and go and do everything else. You could talk to him about anything that was bothering you and he would listen and try to make suggestions that helped you to make a decision.

One time he let me go and play poker with his group. I didn't come home with any money but they were all very pleasant about it and wanted me to come back and play again. What a bunch of sharks!!

Ralph has certainly earned his place in Heaven and will be received with outstretched hands by all who proceeded him. He is without doubt one of God's "GOOD GUYS".

I love you, senor. zak

Anonymous said...

This is a test comment.

Anonymous said...

Gray Days on my Dad’s Beach.


Dad lives near the ocean. Dad has always lived near the ocean.
Eighty six years within a few miles of the water….always.

It’s walking distance for the young. The rest of us
drive the quarter mile to the water. This is Los Angeles.
You never walk when you can drive.

Four minutes takes dad to a spot overlooking the waves and the sandy beaches below. The Grand Esplanade.
Fifteen miles of sand and cement pathway from Santa Monica
to Palos Verdes. Playa del Rey, El Porto, Hermosa, Manhattan,
Redondo.

Life guard towers dominate every thousand feet or so.
Silent white sentinels waiting for those who would give it attention.

Scanning the waves and feeling the breeze, Dad knows what we all eventually learn...that...

....even gray days hold a weak promise of afternoon sun. This is
how he approached life....there was always a promise of sunshine, so look for it ....always.

This daily breeze whispers ever so quietly, like the low soft
bleat from Irish pipes. Not a howl, just a steady constant.

Morning visitors to the beach are few.
Summer lemonade and string bikinis will follow .
For this time,
only the well groomed dogs trail the Esplanade,
showing off their owners in designer flip flops.

Bicycle traffic is limited to those who have no car.
In a month,
new wheels will roll steadily,
proclaiming their rider a new native
searching for an excuse
to find another.

The girls flirt with their Starbuck lattes,
guys show off their surfboards that have
never touched the water. Transients all,
replacements for last year's graduates.

The boys jams are baggier, the girls thongs
thinner. Competition on the volleyball court,
for those who but stand and watch.
Every face a smile, real or imagined.

Expectant futures on vacation ...some for
just a month, others who remain to never
leave this version of paradise. Parting company with the sun
and waves, a trauma close to surrendering
your first puppy love.

Lifeguards in their Speedos, noses in white
zinc oxide, binoculars dangling from their
neck. ...straining a look for swimmers, sharks,
and jellyfish. Only the jellyfish need help......
….they sunburn so easily.


This is dad's beach......
This is dad’s water, and sand, and life and laughter.

A perpetual mix of breezes and promises of afternoon sunshine.
This will always be my dad’s beach…

May you always enjoy sunshine.

Ego te amo, Fred.

Anonymous said...

Sept 10, 2008

Rafael, Un saluda para te y tu apreciable familia te envio esta de papel que me la dio una amiga mia ( Japonesa) con todo respeto y carino pues me puse my alegre con esta noticia y hay mismo pense ue tu salud; no se si lo haga lieu o no eu todo caso es con mucha carino y lo dejo a tu conci deracion: siempre deseaudo te lo mejor para tu salud, estas a diario eu mis ocaciones te recuerdo siempre como eres caballero, serio y respetuoso, tu amiga, Francia

Anonymous said...

Sept 9 2008

Dear Uncle Ralph,

Lydia and I love you so much, and we're sending you our thoughts and our prayers. I want to thank you for being such a wonderful uncle, someone I've always looked forward to seeing, and someone who's always had my best interest at heart.

I remember when we first moved to L.A. I thought you and Aunt Betty were so kind and welcoming. I remember the first trip to Disneyland that you took us on, and what a kick that was. (We had to ride the train first, you said that was the way to start!) I remember the parties you had at your home, and how there were so many people and everyone had such a good time.

Later, when we had moved to Thousand Oaks I looked forward to your visits. As a teenager it meant a lot to me that you were always genuinely interested in what I was doing (As I think you were with every person you've known!) Do you rmember you used to have me rub your head "for luck" before you would leave ?!

One time I was driving down to San Clemente when one of my tires blew out. I was stuck down near LAX on a little strip of concrete between two merging freeways. I was a little panicked and so grateful when a policeman stopped. I rolled down the window and the policeman stuck his head in and asked me: " Do you have Triple AAA?" and I immediately, without even thinking, blurted out: "NO. ...but I have an uncle in Manhattan Beach!" He looked at me a little strangely, but I just knew that if I ever needed help you would be right there for me.

I'm also so grateful to you and Aunt Betty for your comfort and presence when Mom was in the hospital after her stroke. You were so cheery and uplifting and you took me down to the cafeteria and made me eat!

These are just a few memories, I have so many more, and Lydia does too; she loved having both of you here.

You are such a warm and generous, big-hearted man. I'm so
thankful and grateful to have you as my uncle. I love you very, very much Uncle Ralph. you are in my heart...

Lydia and I send hugs and kisses to you and Aunt Betty today....and we send our love forever.... _ Maria

Anonymous said...

Well a great man has finally moved on but My father did believe that God shuts one door to open up another with much better plans for him.I write this for all knowing that he read all of your stories you wrote and would show a twinkle in his eyes with much pleasure when one of his family siblings would read to him .Thnks to all whom took the time out to write to him.He had a great life and will never be forgotten .He taught me many htings but what sticks out the most was as I was growing up he taught me to surf the waves on his back while catching waves body-surfing till I was old enough to do it with him,Took the time to teach me how to fish for lake trout and ocean fish,got me a pet (Candy)dog and never would refuse any animal I would bring home to raise as I got older.I do miss my Dad and as I am writing this the things that I miss the most is him calling my name out loud as I would enter the house. Knowing that his words would be "Ricky I am glad you are here I need your help to get,do,go, fix or sit with him to eat together , Even if I had just had a burger he would still say well we have Ice Cream and peaches ,Let's eat. Well to all of you We the Duarte Family THANK YOU.
We are going to have a mass for Dad on October 4 2008 at St. James in Redondo Beach /Please call 310-356-5767 for more information.Fred and Tess will be able to help ..

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I only met Ralph and Betty one evening at the end of September 2006, when I was travelling with my mother Magdalena Rosado Gámir (who also writes in Spanish among these comments) and my late father Juan José Gómez Molina (cousin thrice removed from Ralph).

The few hours spent with Ralph confirm all the comments from friends and family: He was a giving man. It was barely our first contact and he already made sure that we were all enjoying his city of Los Angeles by insisting on driving us late at night around town despite his delicate health and poor sight. It is rare to witness that level of generosity from someone you just met, but I could tell right away that he was indeed a special man and that his good nature could not allow for anything less. I remember Ralph making us all laugh quite a few times during dinner... and made my wife and parents feel they had a already a good friend on their first visit to LA.

All I can say is that Ralph´s remarkable personality was obvious to any stranger that would spend more than 5 minutes interacting with him: He made you feel like not one at all... but rather someone he cared enough to dedicate his time, his attention and his bubbly energy. I am thankful to have met him even if briefly, even if to just confirm there are good people among us. Ralph was a great example of such.

My condolences for the loss to all his family, specially Betty. Be assured he will not be easily forgotten by anybody that got to know him,

Lorena, David and baby Lino

P.S.
Picture of us that evening

Anonymous said...

The phone number to call mom for info on the Mass for my Father was wrong in the posted date September 12 , mom's house should be
310-356-5737